This low fat version is easy to make and very tasty. Its only 2 pts per serving if you use Veggie cheese and a tomato sauce that is only 1/2 pt per 1/2 cup. So make extra for leftovers. It's also good cold to take for lunch. Note: the veggie cheese used in this recipe can be purchased in the produce section of most supermarkets. You can substitute the real thing, but use a low-fat variety to keep the fat in-take down (and adjust the points).
1 medium eggplant
1/2 c. seasoned bread crumbs
1-2 large tomatoes (you need 8 slices), optional
1 egg white
1 c. low fat tomato spaghetti sauce
3 oz. Veggie Shreds mozzarella flavor cheese
4 Tbsp. Veggie Parmesan grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wash the eggplant and cut into thick slices, about 1/2" each.
- Beat the egg white with 2 Tbsp. water in a shallow bowl. Put the bread crumbs in another bowl.
- Dip each eggplant slice (both sides) in egg white mixture and then dreg in the bread crumbs on both sides.
- Place on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with oil. Spray the tops with oil, too
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes. Turn slices over and bake another 10 minutes until brown and the eggplant is soft
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees
- Slice tomato into at least 8 slices
- In a square baking dish layer the ingredients as follows: put a little tomato sauce on the bottom, then a layer of eggplant followed by tomato slices then sauce, mozzarella and parmesan, then another layer of eggplant followed by tomato slices then sauce, mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the cheese melts. Let sit for 2 minutes and serve with a large salad.
Go back to
my Weight Watcher's Home Page
kcEnamels.com Home Page