Cream of Broccoli Soup
This delicious soup was adapted from a recipe from The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen, which also had other great soup recipes.
|2 Tbsp Brommel & Brown yogurt butter
1 1/2 c. chopped onion
1 med. green pepper, cut up
4 c. chopped broccoli
1 c. broccoli flowerets, small pieces
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp fresh basil, minced
2 1/2 c. low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
2 c. milk, 1%
|1 bay leaf
pinch of allspice
black pepper and white pepper to taste
dash of cayenne pepper
dash of tamari
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/2 c. buttermilk
chopped scallions for the top
- Wash broccoli and remove outer covering of stalk that is hard and fibrous. Use all of the stalk plus whatever else is needed for the soup base.
- Saute onions in butter with the bay leaf, salt and basil until the onions are trasnlucent.
- Add the chopped green peper and 4 c. broccoli, stock and salt. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf
- Pureé little by little with the milk, in a blender. Make sure it is totally smooth.
- Wisk in the remaining seasoning; adjust salt and pepper - try using more white than black pepper
- Steam the broccoli flowerets until just done and still bright green.
- Combine all, heat gently and add buttermilk.
- Serve topped with chopped scallions